Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Wardrobe Capsule...huh?

Wardrobe Capsule...what is it?

As Allie over at Wardrobe Oxygen explains it here.

If you want to build one on a budget, The Simply Luxurious Life shows you how here.

What I am learning is that it is a collection of your clothing that is selected for a particular season, although some use a single capsule for their entire wardrobe, year round.  I like the idea of a seasonal capsule since I live in New England.

The purpose is to gather together a grouping of clothing, quality basic pieces that you can mix and match with all the other pieces in the capsule to create a balanced, wearable wardrobe.  You will then dress from this capsule all season long.  I quickly went over to Polyvore and made up what I believe would get me through the rest of winter in high style.


Winter Capsule Wardrobe



Armani Collezioni knee length dress, $595 / L.K.Bennett l k bennett, $230 / Lanvin / Donna Karan wrap blouse / Dolce & Gabbana polka dot cardigan, $1,040 / The Row cashmere sweater, $960 / Joseph striped shirt / Joseph long sleeve top, $625 / Chanel vintage sweater, $545 / Diane von Furstenberg silk tank, $180 / By Malene Birger cashmere cardigan, $200 / AFTERSHOCK bow blouse, $120 / T By Alexander Wang scoop neck tee, $120 / STEFFEN SCHRAUT navy blue jacket / Jil Sander a line skirt, $400 / Pringle of Scotland wide leg pants / Burberry pencil skirt, $385 / Carven wide leg pants, $175 / Toast high waisted wide leg pants, $79 / Levi's levi s, $125 / Chloé wide leg pants, $32


You should select items that are quality, this is the focus, creating a core wardrobe of quality pieces that will last for years, as opposed to the "new" trendy disposable piece that you are currently seeing advertised in your favorite boutique or store.

The object is that by selecting a basic wardrobe full of high quality pieces you will be able to mix and match your pieces and always looks savvy.  This appeals to me for many reasons, the first is that I am moving towards an entire life of quality over quantity...this is relatively new for me as I use to carelessly shop and purchase things I thought I loved and typically on sale, only to find that they were of poor quality or did not fit into my wardrobe in total.

This is the key, if you are shopping the sales with no regard to your current wardrobe, you'll end up like me with a closet full of pieces and nothing to wear.

So, I will keep you posted on my "real" capsule as soon as I gather the items that I currently own and believe will carry me through the rest of the winter.

What do you think of the capsule idea?
eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead...I love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...